About Delme Bowen

Emeritus Professor

Notes of FSEG MEETING Feb 15th 7:30pm

Held at the White Lion Hotel

Ms Sue Abbott     – Chair
Mr Les Jones       – Secretary
Mr Delme Bowen – Minutes Secretary
Mr Hugh Williams  – Tresurer
Mrs Lucy Evans     – Finance
Mr James Greenwell – IT
Mr Michael Evans.

Apologies
Mr Mike Bailey
Mrs Dorothy Morris
Mrs Lynn Shallcross
Cllr Mair Stephens.

Minutes and Matters Arising

The minutes were accepted as correct for the Jan 21st meeting.

The treasurer agreed to forward copies of the audited accounts to all trustees. The payments from the Local Health Board have now been received other than for their insurance contribution. A response from “Gift Aid ” is still awaited. The bid for a Rural Development Grant has been submitted. St Ishmael C. C. Have approved a loan over two years to build toilets at Calon Y Fferi. The AGM will be on March 21st, venue to be confirmed.

The flooding adjacent to Men’s Sheds awaits repair by the County Council. The group are still awaiting a response from the Llanelli Sewing group, who are seeking a new venue.

At the meeting with the LHB it was agreed that communication would be through Ann Jenkins. They agreed that the secure door between the centre and the surgery was to be locked when the surgery was closed. It was agreed that tenants would need permission to use their toilets. A fire safety risk assessment of their building is to be carried out shortly. They have requested specified car parking spaces.The lighting of the path to the surgery is to be checked. They will be billed for water and electricity usage, meanwhile, the electrical wiring in the surgery requires rectification and upgrading.

Environmental Project

Rosie Carmichael has provided funds from Natural Resources Wales to establish a Green area and open-air classroom adjacent to the sports hall at Calon Y Fferi.

Work has started, the site cleared and an intrusive sycamore and tall conifers removed. Beech trees are being managed and coppiced and a mix of trees will be planted to form a hedge. Some willow bushes will also be cleared and a seating area established. Lockable Gates will be established into the site adjacent to the sports hall and on the other side adjacent to the MUGA. A hedge will be established between the open air garden and the adjacent boggy wetland. A full set of gardening tools will also be provided.

The environmental project will be managed by the Village Forum on behalf of FSEG. GRAIG Collage students may also assist with the work from February 29th.

Infrastructure Group

The January 25th meeting agreed to proceed with the essential electrical work at a cost of £5,800 . The work carried out by Dyfed Electrical is almost complete. Electrical supply to other parts of the buildings including the “boiler room” , Men’s Sheds , Dorothy’s ceramic area and Sport hall,are being investigated

Further improvements are required and a working party is to be set up to directly volunteer labour. The guttering has been cleared with the help of Les and Mike and leaks have been identified in the roof especially associated with the chimney
stack. Overall, the roof is in relatively good condition. Quotes will be taken for essential repairs.

The existing electrical contract included a panel for a future addressable fire alarm system at £850 without any attached fire sensors. A simpler fully functional non-addressable sytem is now preferred, which will cost £1000 with sensors placed in the tenanted locations. The extra expenditure was approved.

An insurance surveyor report has been received indicating three requirements:
1 Board up the damaged portakabins
2 Get full electrical certification for all live circuits
3 Fire safety installation required

The Fire Risk Assessment has been drafted and will be circulated for comment. The rooms in the main building have been systematically renumbered.
The provision of disability toilets, will be brought forward.

The Business Group.

Met on February 4th and templates are being developed for the business plan that will allow cash flow forecast to match the relevant business projects along with a structured narrative. The Rural Development Grant application has been submitted to the County. A “Gregg’s” grant application and “The Big Give” is being investigated for a number of projects including further landscape options.

Dorothy is organising three car boot sales in April, May and June and volunteers are required to help. The Cafe will also be opened. Fundraising in the Ferryside Carnival will be explored. Mike Bailey has proposed a village garden Scarecrow Competition for September.

The change of name of the site to “Calon Y Fferi Community Centre ” has been forwarded to the County.

The County Council has approved a standard format for the tenant subleases which will have individual side letters attached particular to each tenant. Formal notifications are being prepared?

Treasurers Report

The treasurer tabled a report, indicating £10,486.82 current and £109.20 petty cash. The LHB have agreed to pay the Surgery’s share of site insurance, estimated at £265.76.

AOB

A potential new logo for Calon Y Fferi was received from Mr Dave Smith.
It was noted that additional trustees would be sought at the AGM on March 21st

NEXT MEETING

AGM March 21st

Notes of FSEG MEETING Jan 18th 7:30pm

CALON Y FFERI COMMUNITY CENTRE

Ms Sue Abbott          Chair
Mr Les Jones             Sec.
Prof Delme Bowen    Min. Sec.
Mr Hugh Williams.    Tres.
Mr James Greenwell I T
Mrs Lucy Evans         Ass. Tres.
Mr Mike Bailey
Mr Mike Evans
Rev Phil Johnes
Mrs Dorothy Morris
Mrs Lynn Shallcross

Apologies:
Cllr Mair Stephens

Minutes & Matters Arising
The minutes of the last meeting, Nov 16th were accepted as a correct record. The “Trustee Update ” was accepted as circulated.

It was confirmed that the new name of the site would be CALON  Y FFERI COMMUNITY CENTRE and this would be submitted to the County Council next thursday. Invoices would still be made out for FSEG as the charity.

The Xmas market proved to be successful. A gift aided donation of £4,000 has been received for updating the electrical infrastructure.

Treasurer’s Report
The treasurer submitted a detailed report to be forwarded to all trustees indicating a December 30th balance  of £6,036:90, plus £116.45 petty cash. Local Fundraising over 2015 totalled £443.25. Outstanding payments are awaited from the Local Health Authority who signed the lease on Nov 2nd. Outstanding payments are committed to our solicitor, Premier Credit insurance, electricity and water. Estimated “spendable ” money was surmised to be around £9,000.

Reports

Infrastructure Group
The infrastructure group under the chairmanship of Les Jones is considering how best to develop the site and buildings. To-date,the AV has been dismantled in one of the training rooms. New toilets are needed in the public area and the lowest tender of £6,500 for this work has been received. A lowest tender of £7,500 has been received to double glaze and renew the Foyer and entrance door.

Electrical renovation is urgently required and will have to be done progressively as funds come available.

Two quotes have been received, one from IWEC at £62,000 plus Vat. This was not broken down in a way that would allow the work to be phased. Another quote of £30,000 for (similar but not identical work) was obtained from Dyfed Electrical Services. They gave separate prices for office rooms at £1,500 per room and £650 for the kitchen electrical supply. An appropriate metering plan is being developed, moving to metering per tenant in due course. £6,000 will be required to update fire safety. Tenants will pay for their own electrical testing. Wiring will include space for IT cabling. The sports hall and ceramic areas also require attention and quotes will be sought for the works required.

Business Group
The chair, Sue Abbott reported that in terms of tenants, Mark Harwood had hired a room and that Sue Horton required two rooms for Truffles. Mr Mike Utting had hired a training room for two years and will have a 5 year lease. Formal sub-leases and appropriate side letters for tenants still await clearance from the County Council legal office and an urgent meeting is pending.

The chair submitted papers on actual and potential tenant space allocation along with maps and anticipated income. The latter could be used as the basis for a more detailed business plan. The Allocation of a Bunkhouse is being keenly negotiated.

The estimated income based on currently agreed rentals could be around £30,000 per annum. There is a further potential for 15 rooms in the West Wing and two training rooms are still available. A business plan is being drawn up based on these developments.

Funding
Lucy Evans is drawing up a bid for County Council money, applying for a £160,000 infrastructure grant, 20 percent of which can be input as work in kind on top of £128,000. The criteria are demanding and have to fit into County and Welsh Government requirements covering such things as unemployment, work poverty, digital inclusion etc., in addition to details and costings of the work required. The bid goes in at the end of the month.

The decision of St Ishmael Community Council on a £7,000 grant to establish the new toilets is pending, following their site meeting at Calon Y Fferi on Jan 17th.
Marketing

A logo is to be drawn up for Calon Y Fferi Community Centre. The input of members would be welcomed.

Mr Mike Bailey showed examples of the artistic impressions used by other villages for marketing on merchandise such as tea cloths, bags, coasters, pens etc.

ICT
Fast broadband connection now available. Other work progressing in tandem with the electrical refurbishment.

AOB
DATES OF NEXT MEETING
Feb 15th 7:30pm
March 21st AGM
April 18th

Business Group Meetings
Feb 4th 7pm
March 3rd

Infrastructure Group Meetings
Jan25th 8pm
Feb22nd

Dorothy to get a grant decision on Ceramic project in March.
Heritage Project lease awaited, space allocation needs clarification.
The Village Forum is developing plans for the Sports Hall.
Flooded path adjacent to Men’s Sheds needs drainage repair.
Quilt & Sowing Class from Llanelli looking urgently for another venue.

DB.

NOTES of FSEG Meeting November the 16th 2015

At CALON Y FFERI 7:30pm

Present:

Ms Sue Abbott           Chair
Mr Les Jones             Secretary
Prof Delme Bowen    Minute Secretary
Mr Hugh Williams.    Tresurer
Mr James Greenwell IT
Mrs Lucy Evans         Assistant Tresurer
Mr Mike Evans
Rev Phil Johnes
Mr Mike Bailey
Mrs Lynn Shallcross

Apologies

Mrs Dorothy Morris

Minutes

Available on the website and taken as read

Matters Arising

Covering items not on the agenda. Telephone and Wifi links are now available
Tel: 01267 874040. Two lines will be available.

Lease signed Nov 2nd. Sub leases awaiting legal advise. Rental arrangements are being discussed. The ” training rooms require furnishing and are not yet available for use. A response from Cwrs Y Fferi is awaited as to possible hire.

Name of Site 

Currently referred to as ” The Education Centre”.

Calon Y Fferi was proposed as a a possible title. The matter was discussed and a further description was proposed i.e.

Calon Y Fferi  Heart of the Community

Calon Y Fferi  Community Centre

Was then proposed as a compromise and carried by  8 votes to 1 abstention.

Chair’s Report

The chair confirmed that a 99 year lease of the site had now been signed with Carmarthen County Council. The expectation is that a 50% share in profit, payable to CCC, will not be payable since over £50,000 profit would have to be declared  over five years. There is no rent liability.

A draft list of proposed powers of delegation has been drawn up but not yet been presented to The Village Forum. These would propose that the external areas of the site would be overseen and managed by the Forum in agreement with FSEG.
Action Lucy Evans and Trustees.

Officers have by invitation, met with Mark James, director of S’Investec Llc a valuable expert in private funding with a wide range of contacts. He is happy to help and advise as required.

A meeting has been held with Cerian Rolls of Glam Fest, who has agreed to form a local committee to progress a Ferryside Musical Festival. The meeting will be held on December 7th and will be announced in STISH…..Action Trustees.

Secretary’s Report

The secretary is exploring what physical work needs doing on the site. This includes new toilets, and three quotes have been received, the most suitable being that submitted by DJ Plumbing at £ 6,500. An order will be placed when funds are available……… Action Secretary.  

The glass doors and windows of the Foyer require replacement with double glazing and quotes will be requested.  A new entrance gate is also required. A list of other requirements, including for the grounds and RAF Huts is being drawn up…Action Secretary

Over recent years a number of reports have indicated that the electricity supply should be updated before the main building is fit for public use.  An earlier estimate for a complete renewal of the whole site was £80,000. The secretary will discuss this with the company involved to identify the essential work on the main building and ascertain its cost.  It was decided that no public meetings would be allowed in the main building until the required electrical and safety work had been completed.

The tenants taking on the Cafe/ Restaurant will do their own work on the kitchen and bar.  Anyone developing a bunkhouse would also be expected to do the necessary electrical work.

As the building will be occupied by several sub-tenants, there is a need to apportion the cost of electricity consumed.  Having separate supplies has been discussed with Western Power and it would clearly be very expensive to implement. It would also have the disadvantage that standing charges would be applied to every account. A lower cost solution is to keep the existing account arrangement but to have private metering for each sub-tenant.  FSEG will need then to read the meters and apportion costs.  A spread-sheet will be set up to facilitate this.

The tenants taking on the Cafe/ Restaurant will do their own work on the kitchen and bar.  Anyone developing a bunkhouse would also be expected to do the necessary electrical work.

Considerable plumbing work is also required to supply the toilets and other areas. This would have to meet the requirements laid out in the Legionella Survey carried out by the County Council.  The secretary was authorised to employ a plumber for a day to investigate and understand what may be required to feed the kitchen and bar area.

Treasurer’s Report

The treasurer submitted a detailed report showing a balance of £2,450 with £228.97 petty cash. The initial solicitor fees have been paid as have the public liability insurance premium. Payments for the surgery are awaited via the County Council and it was decided to invoice for these……..Action Treasurer.

ICT

It was confirmed that Internet Access and Telephone exchange had been installed, but that further work would await the electrical work proposed. James was thanked for all his good work with the ICT.

Action Plan

The workshop findings had been distilled into a five page document which was presented by the chair. The proposed activities were outlined under the headings of FSEG, FORUM, SOCIAL ENTERPRISE GROUPS and PRIVATE ENTERPRISE along with possible red, amber and green risk factors. A column on mitigation would be added.

The document was welcomed and discussed in detail including formation of a Business Plan & Governance section under the Business Group and importantly a Survey & Refurbishment of Buildings & Utilities Section under the Infrastructure Group. The chair was appointed to oversee the former and LesJones the secretary appointed to oversee the latter. lt was emphasised that the groups would need to interact as necessary in order to get progress.   ………..Action Chair, Secretary and Trustees.

Funding

To be driven by the Business Group, in response to requirements identified and costed  by the Infrastructure Group.

AOB

FSEG to run a Stall at  the Forum Xmas Market…..Action Lynn Shallcross

FSEG  to man Coffee stall at one of the FORUM Xmas Markets…Action..Phill Johnes

Trip to Pembroke Funding Fair Narberth Nov17th………..Action  Secretary

It was suggested that Crowd Funding should be explored in the future.

DONM

Early December, date to be set.

Notes of FSEG MEETING Monday Oct 19th 7:30pm CALON Y FFERI

Ms Sue Abbott          Chair
Mr Les Jones             Sec.
Prof Delme Bowen    Min. Sec.
Mr Hugh Williams.    Tresurer
Mr James Greenwell  I T
Mrs Lucy Evans         Assistant Treasurer.
Mr Mike Evans
Mrs Lynn Shallcross

Apologies
Mrs Dorothy Morris

Minutes

The minutes of the previous meeting were accepted as correct.

Matters Arising

A separate meeting has been arranged with Cerian Rolls to discuss the possible Youth Music Festival. A report on the Fund Raising meeting is pending from the chair.
Action…Chair

Dragon Scapes have visited the site and recommended the establishment of a shallow pond and Hugel mound behind the hall. The establishment of a wild flower meadow is under discussion.

Chairs Report

The chair requested more help in future to clean the centre before events. …Action All Trustees and Members.

Thanks were give to the few that did help,especially Mrs Ceinwen Jones. A very successful  Funding meeting and Signing Ceremony have been held.

Officers have had ongoing discussions with:

  1. Two  potential bidders hoping to establish and run a hostel/ bunk house .
  2. A bidder hoping to establish and open a Cafe and restaurant with bar, who
    would be prepared to get the boiler up and running to heat the restaurant  and central area.
  3. Mr Richard Payne a construction contract manager who is prepared to offer site management expertise. His name has also
    been added to a list of potential builders.

A leaflet was tabled describing the site and its potential based on the article in STISH. It was decided to distribute this more widely in the village.

The chair who is no longer an issue officer of The Village Forum suggested that we hold a future meeting with them to discuss potential delegated or shared responsibilities and this was agreed……Action: Chair and Secretary.

Meanwhile the Forum was invited to draw up an environmental plan for the site for future discussion….Action: The Village Forum

Treasurers Report

The treasurer submitted a detailed report indicating £ 2991.97 in the current account and £ 317.97 Petty Cash from recent fundraising. He drew attention to an anticipated expenditure of £ 1,140 on solicitor fees and £1,300 on ICT costs. Discussion took place on when the LHB could be invoiced and it was noted that the rental could be backdated to Oct 5th when they signed their lease.

ICT

It was reported that one telephone line had already been installed and that the cabling structures and switches were good for Wifi. Internet connection was awaited.

Secretary Report

A wiring plan was emerging for the site and some basic electrics had been repaired and made functional. The secretary, who is taking advice, indicated that allocating electrical costs to users would not be easy and might require separate metering of different sections of the buildings. It was noted that commercial standing charges can be expensive…….Action Secretary.

On the administrative side an annual return to the Charities Commission had been completed and submitted. There had been further detailed exchanges on the leases, but the main lease was now ready to sign. The LHB lease had already been agreed and signed. It is a 5 year lease with a possible break after two years. Work is being undertaken to prepare the sub leases,especially to enable the development of the kitchen and restaurant. Two basic types of lease are envisaged, one for clubs and community use and the other for business or commercial use.

An invitation to tender for two unisex toilets for the centre has been issued.

Rental Arrangements

The purpose of FSEG as a Charity is to benefit the community of Ferryside and St Ishmael by bringing together local groups and enabling educational, social, welfare or leisure activities. Any commercial activities at the site are for the express purpose of creating a financially viable centre where community activities can take place.

It was decided that a realistic commercial-rent will be taken for all businesses and that space may be offered at no rent  to non-profit organisations provided that they are fully responsible for the repair and maintenance of the space they occupy and cooperate fully with FSEG and the other tenants in the overall development of the site.

This was carried, the chair didn’t vote to make 5 for and  2 against  and 1 abstention. Two trustees proposing that all tenants should pay some rental. Appropriate rental charges were tabled and discussed.

It was decided that Grant Funding and an Action Plan now needs to be urgently considered.   Action Chair, Secretary, Lucy Evans, Treasurer and all Trustees.

AOB

Lynn Shallcross suggested that members bring forward local fund raising activities leading to Halloween and Xmas.

Les Jones indicated that Cwrs Y Fferi, would require class rooms for teaching Welsh in the community in February. This meant that heating and new toilets would need to be progressed quickly.

NEXT MEETINGS

Nov 16th TO DISCUSS GRANT FUNDING & ACTION PLAN
Dec 21st
Jan 18th 2016
Feb 15th
March 21st
April 18th

NOTES of FSEG Meeting July 20th Mens Sheds 7:30pm

Present:

Ms Sue Abbott          Chair
Mr Les Jones             Secretary
Prof Delme Bowen     Minute Secretary
Mr Hugh Williams.     Tresurer
Mr James Greenwell  IT
Mr Colin Butters
Mrs Lucy Evans          Assistant Tresurer
Mr Mike Evans
Mr Bob Gunstone
Mr Rhydian Lewis
Mrs Lynn Shallcros

Apologies:

Rev Phil Johnes
Cllr Mair Stephens

Minutes and Matters Arising

The minutes of the last meeting were accepted and had been distributed electronically. Men’s Sheds requested a printed hard copy. The  action plan submitted by Broadside Films was accepted. It was confirmed that FSEG membership fee would be £5 and that Paypal could be used in future to pay it, in addition to the usual  methods of subscription. Some of the Trustee Responses to roles had been received. A Model Role for Trustees document to be circulated for adoption……

Action: Chair and Secretary

The treasurer at this juncture submitted his report indicating a balance of £3,469:62 and £ 212.64 petty cash. It was also agreed to investigate the use of  “Easy fundraiser” on the internet…….

Action: Treasurer & I.T.

Lucy reported that the Asda bid for funds had not been successful. The charity coconut shy at the Carnival raised £43. 34 including float. The market Coffee shop next Saturday, July 25th is to be run for FSEG funds………..

Action: Secretary & Co.

It was reported that the stream and wetlands behind the centre would make an ideal wild life site. A Biodiversity expert and Dragonscapes would be contacted.

Action: Secretary and Assistant Treasurer

Progress on Lease

Officers reported some concern on the legalistic terms outlined in the sixth draft and are liaising with the County Council legal department on a seventh version.

Concern was raised over responsibilities for uninsured losses, the extent of reserved funds that could be spent improving the centre and the 50per cent income returnable to the County over and above the reserved income of £ 50,000 obtained from rentals.  It was stated that rental charge to tenants should be at “market value”. The County reserve the right to sell the site if FSEG were in default. The site must be  kept “0pen” during the term of the Lease and the property redecorated every five years or at the discretion of the County. Any  Plant and Equipment must also be maintained.

The meeting felt that the terms of the Lease need further clarification and it was requested that Cllr Mair Stephens invite the leader of the County Council, Cllr Emlyn Dole and relevant officers to meet the trustees on site to help explain our charitable aims and help resolve the issues raised before formulating a final version of the Lease….

Action:Chair and Sec to draft the letter to Mair and County Council in consultation with Delme and Bob.

Asbestos Issues.

Emily Thomas and Andrew Sweet of the County Council have had a meeting with FSEG concerning these issues and an asbestos management plan has been received charting the categories and types of asbestos  and who can do the work on them. All such sites at the centre appear to pose only a low risk and can be tacked as described in the  management plan, which also contains a list of approved contractors.

Potential Tenants

A dozen or so tenants were listed many requesting an office or rooms. A few envisaged starting a new business and would require help to get the buildings up to standard.
Carmarthen Modellers expressed an interest in producing a diorama of Ferryside which would fit in well with the heritage agenda. Cwrs Y Fferi expressed an interest in establish  a one week intensive Welsh Language course at the centre….

Action: Chair, Secretary and Trustees.

Action Plan and Fund Raising.

A one day Saturday session is to be organised by Christine Castle in September to assist trustees and interested members  including potential tenants to develop appropriate projects and submit successful grant applications for funding. This will assist in developing an action plan related to what funding bids emerge.

Communications

The meeting felt happy with current arrangements whereby the officers advise trustees of any significant developments during the month.

AOB none

Next Meetings

Aug 17th
Sept 21st
Oct 19th
Nov 16th
Dec 21st
Jan 18th 2016
Feb 15th
March 21st
April 18th

DB.

NOTES of FSEG Meeting June 15th 2015

At Men’s Sheds7:30pm

Present:
Ms Sue Abbott         Chair
Mr Les Jones             Sec.
Prof Delme Bowen    Min. Sec.
Mr Hugh Williams.    Tres.
Mr James Greenwell IT
Cllr Mair Stephens     County Councillor
Mrs Lucy Evans         Ass. Tres.
Mrs Dorothy Morris
Mr Mike Evans
Mr Ben Morris ( for part of the meeting)

Apologies:
Mr Mike Bailey
Mr Colin Butters
Cllr Mike Evans
Mr Bob Gunstone
Mr Mark Harwood
Rev Phil Johnes
Mrs Lynne Shallcross

Minutes and Matters Arising

The minutes were accepted as a true record. It was confirmed that after initial correction of the notes for the minutes they would be circulated to the trustees and members and placed on the website and FaceBook. James has drawn up an electronic list of trustees and if members can register their email addresses on the website if they would like minutes and news by email. The possibility of affiliated membership was deferred to a future meeting.

Please could all trustees use the new email distribution list trustees@fseg.org.uk when sending emails to all the trustees.

Action: All trustees

The Pollinator Day proved very successful takings from the Forum Cafe were donated to FSEG. James has drawn up a draft map of the potential electronic facilities of the education centre. Broadside Films have submitted an Action Plan of their activities. Further tenant action plans are awaited. A £5 fee will be charged for membership of FSEG. An electronic documentation of officer and trustee roles will be circulated in due course….

Action: Chair

Secretarial Report

FSEG officers met with the relevant County Council officers to discuss the details of the Lease on June 11th. The County confirmed that as land owners they would deal with any landslip or subsidence issues.

Questions were raised in relation to plant and equipment maintenance as we believe there is no working plant on site. This and the state of the buildings will be the subject of a Condition Survey is to be undertaken by Emily Thomas of the County. The electricity supply would be switched off in appropriate areas…..Action Sec and Chair

It was accepted that any income could be set aside to develop the site so that earmarked expenditure  is allowable and accounted for.   It was agreed that a prioritised, but flexible, list of site work required (replacement, repair, maintenance etc.) to the infrastructure, structure, plant and machinery would be produced. All income net of costs, write downs etc. would be classed as reserve subject to trustee agreement.

Discussion took place on whether an acceptable rent could be offered to tenants as opposed to a “full market rent”. Further negotiations need to take place  to establish a base line rent but it was agreed that income can be set aside as a reserve to develop the site as allowable expenditure.

Hopefully these issues will be clarified in version 5 of the Lease  which will include the sub-lease for the Doctor’s Surgery. Any sub-letting requires the permission of the County landlord.

The County agreed to carry out some remedial work to replace broken glass panes and inspect trailing power cables. Dorothy Morris indicated that Asbestos needs to be checked in the kitchen area proposed for ceramic art work and the meeting agreed that this was a health and safety priority which would have to be resolved before any work was done. ………..

Action: Secretary, Chair and Cllr Mair Stephens

Chairs Report

The Chair confirmed that the BBC may be filming some of our activities during the Summer. A meeting had taken place with Rev Phil Johnes to help  sort out the space potentially required for the Heritage Project. The views of all the groups will now be canvassed to allocate space appropriately….

Action: Secretary and Chair

Treasurers Report

The treasurer circulated a detailed report showing £ 3,469 in the current balance. He advised that the accounting system is changing for Charities. Donations will need careful recording and Annual Returns will need to be submitted by October along with an Annual Report. Mrs Jill Furniss has previously assisted with Audit. ….

Action: Treasurer and Chair.

Fund Raising

Project Groups should continue with raising grant monies. More funds are required for the infrastructure including plumbing, electrical supply, walls ceilings etc. It was felt that we should hold fund raising events in addition to expanding membership. Payments could be made easier by using PayPal and Easy FundRaising and James will progress this. ………

Action: James Greenwell and Secretary

Income from the Surgery is only assured for two years as the Lease has a break clause after this period. An Asda Grant may me forthcoming via the Forum to install a new boiler and improve the electrical infrastructure, especially for the Main Hall …..

Action: Forum and Lucy Evans

The Art Project intends to raise funds to provide Art experience for the disabled….

Action: Dorothy Morris

The Heritage Project will be progressed by Rev Phil Johnes …..

Action: Rev Phil Johnes

The ITT facilities will be progressed by James Greenwell, who will also set up a donations page on the web….

Action: James Greenwell

Other suggestions were raised for more immediate short term funding:
Coconut Shy at the Ferryside Carnival,July 18th. ….

Action: Delme ( As Green Man), Hugh and Lucy

Coffee Cafe at the Market July 25th …….

Action Les Jones

Other future possibilities were mooted:

Dinner Parties the Village Hall,Travelling Supper, Big Lunch, Music and/or Folk events,
Beach Rave( with Face Painting), Dog show, Bingo, Auction of Promises and Car Boot Sale.

AOB

Sec and Chair to investigate the state of the lagoon or stream at the rear of the Education Centre. Amphibian and Reptile Association looking to establish frog ponds and conservation areas……

Action Les Jones

NEXT MEETING July 20th 2015

NOTES of FSEG Meeting May 18th 2015

At the Sports & Social Club 7:30pm

Present:
Ms Sue Abbott         Chair
Mr Les Jones             Sec
Prof Delme Bowen    Min. Sec.
Mr James Greenwell IT
Rev Phil Johnes
Mrs Dorothy Morris
Cllr Mair Stephens     County Councillor

Apologies:
Mr Mike Bailey
Mr Colin Butters
Cllr Mike Evans

Mrs Lucy Evans
Mr Bob Gunstone
Mr Mark Harwood
Mrs Lynne Shallcross

Minutes
Correction under future meetings, Oct19th not Oct 9th.

Matters Arising
Mr Colin Butters has contacted the Charity Commission, advising them of the new trustees. It was agreed that affiliated membership could be arranged for other groups. A draft membership form for FSEG was submitted by the Secretary and approved, he also confirmed that affiliated membership could be arranged for other groups. The draft Lease is still under discussion and on the agenda..

Chairs Report
The chair referred to her update e-mail, keeping members appraised of material changes and this was welcomed. Mr James Greenwell was asked to draw up an electronic list of FSEG Trustees.

Action JG

The chair indicated that a time table needs to be drawn up for an action plan. The allocation of space is continuing involving current and potential users, namely Men’s Sheds, Broadside Films,Village Forum, Sports Club, Arts Group (Dorothy) and Heritage Group (Phil). Following discussion, the needs of the Heritage group which includes the RSPB, West Wales Wildlife Trust and World War 2 heritage is to be resolved by Phil Johnes and the Chair.

Action PJ and SA

Meanwhile, the Village Forum, on behalf of the Sports Club are proceeding with a grant application to Asda for community funds to upgrade and supply electricity to the Main Hall and provide a distribution panel for the whole site. It is hoped that the grant will allow the hall to be plastered, painted and fitted out with quartz heaters. Further advice on the grant is expected in June.

Action LE, Village Forum

The portakabin class rooms have been inspected by Cydweli Cricket Club with a view to their possible removal. One cabin appears usable. Their decision is awaited. Some interest has also been expressed by Cydweli Scouts.

The BBC Week in Week out programme are producing an item on the popularity of local government “asset transfer” and may be interested in the FSEG experience.

Action Chair SA and Sec LJ.

Secretary’s Report
The draft lease is still under discussion since it indicated that half the income raised would go to the County Council. This is to be challenged at a meeting with the County on June 9th since as a social enterprise group FSEG would not expect to make any profits and would plough any income back into the project.

Action FSEG officers.

The Sec and Chair will meet with our solicitor on site on June 2nd. The RAF hut roof has been inspected and it is reported that dampness has been caused by blocked valleys and gutters.

The skylight is also in need of repair

Treasurer’s Report
The treasurer submitted an e-mail indicating that the balances are the same as last month plus 54p interest @£3,469.29 for the current a/c & £94.30 in Petty Cash.

Reports from Users & Potential Users
Village Forum
Grant applied for from Asda  to upgrade the Main Hall ( as previously outlined)
Pollinator Planting Day, May 23rd 10:30-12:30 ( on agenda)
Men’s Sheds
Functioning well, hoping for more space if possible.

IT
Fibre optic broadband has now reached the village. James Greenwell reported that the existing cable structures could be maintained and used initially, but they would need dust and surge protection (estimated at £350). A map of the current facilities will be prepared.

Action JG

Sports Club
Awaiting the outcome of the Asda Grant application to improve the Main Hall. Possible users: table tennis, short-mat bowls, occasional hire.

Art ( Dorothy Morris)
Requires access and space to part of the RAF huts, pending the lease. WWAMH grants  pending for training special needs. School Tiles Heritage project proceeding. The tiled village heritage hopefully to be displayed in the railway station shelter.

Broadside Films
Still Active on site. A time table of activities on site to be requested.

Action Sec LJ

Space to be allocated.
Heritage
Phil Johnes to discuss space allocation and grants in aid with the Chair.

Others
Simon Wright, a professional food critic is happy to make a site visit with a view to offering advice on the potential of the kitchen and site catering.

Trustee & officer roles
The chair presented documents to all committee officers requesting an outline of specific roles. The forms will also be circulated electronically and are to be filled in and submitted to the chair a week before the next meeting in June.

Action Officers & Trustees.

Costs & Funding
The main issues were postponed until the next meeting. A membership charge was set at £ 5 per annum to start on the date of the lease. The aim being that members ” help support the long term viability of the former education centre for community use under the auspices of the Ferryside Social Enterprise Group”. Easyfund Raising will be investigated by James Greenwell and the treasurer Hugh Williams.

Action JG & HW

Action plan Time Table
To be formulated as soon as the lease is forthcoming.

Pollinator Planting Day
Organised by the Village Forum for Saturday 23rd, 10:30am till 12:30pm at the education centre. A membership stall will be set up by FSEG, manned by Les Jones and Delme Bowen. A maypole will be made available and the School involved in the planting of bee friendly  plants.

AOB
Celebration of Community Growing. “TYFU POBL”.
Centre for Alternative Technology, Machynlleth June 12-14.

FUTURE MEETINGS:
June 15th
July 20th
Aug 17th
Sept 21st
Oct 19th
Nov 16th
Dec 21st
Jan 18th 2016
Feb 15th
March 21st
April 18th
DB.

NOTES of FSEG Meeting February 9th 2015

At the Sports & Social Club 7:30pm

Present:
Rev Philip Johnes      Chair
Mr Les Jones             Sec
Mr Hugh Williams       Tres
Mr James Greenwell   IT
Prof Delme Bowen.     Press
Cllr Mair Stephens
Ms Sue Abbott
Mr Mike Bailey
Mr Colin Butters
Mr Mike Evans
Cllr Mike Evans
Mrs Lucy Evans
Mr Robert Gunstone
Mr Mark Harwood
Mrs Lynn Shallcross

Apologies for absence from Simon Davies and Dorothy Morris

The Chair welcomed everyone to the meeting.

Background

Although this was a scheduled AGM, the chair indicated that the meeting should first be made aware of recent crucial developments.

FSEG had just received a thirteen page Asbestos Survey of the Education Centre from Carmarthen County Council and had been advised that remedial work could cost in excess of £10,000. The County had signalled that no financial contribution towards this issue would be made available. The officers of FSEG had however secured a meeting with Emily Thomas of the County Council on Tuesday February 17th.

The chair suggested that further talks should take place with the County Council via Cllr Mair Stevens and FSEG officers before holding the AGM and this was agreed by the meeting. This would enable any newly elected committee to be made fully aware of the situation. Further help and advice would be sought from the County Council by Cllr Mair Stephens.

The postponed AGM would be held on Monday March 2nd at 7:30pm.

Further issues requiring attention were also listed:

  • Legionella & Water Management Risk Assessment pending
  • Potential Electrical costs
  • Boiler room safety and repairs
  • Heating for the main hall
  • Liaison with the Surgery
  • Call for trustees

Some discussion took place as to the future access of currently functioning groups such as Men’s Sheds, The Forum Market and Sports Group.

DATE OF NEXT MEETING

AGM at the Sports and Social Club Monday March 2nd 7:30pm.

News & next Meeting

FSEG MUDIAD CYMDEITHASOL GLANYFFERI
THE decision has been made for FSEG to take over the Education Centre site, with a formal hand-over date of 31st March 2015.Work is in hand on leases etc. We would like to convene a full meeting on Monday 1st December at 7pm to bring you up to date. (Venue to be confirmed). Please make every effort to attend.
We hope that all interested parties and groups will attend, including Broadside Films, The Sports Group, Mens Sheds, The Heritage Project, Ferryside Village Forum. Other local organisations or potential users are welcomed!