UWTSD Theatre performances at Calon y Fferi

The School of Performing Arts from the University of Wales Trinity Saint David will be bringing three theatre performances to Calon Y Fferi (Ferryside Education Centre) on 27th, 28th, 29th & 30th May at 2pm, 5pm and 7pm each day. All of the performances are created by Final year students from the BA Acting and BA Theatre Design & Production degrees.

2pm – “The Stories of Hans Christian Andersen.” – Suitable for all the family. 

This adaptation by Mike Kenny tells the story of the famous Danish fairy tale writer Hans Christian Andersen.  Many actors take on the role of Anderson at the same time representing the many sides of his personality.  He struggled with his family, his education and his place within society, he wanted to be a poet, a singer, a novelist, an actor……and throughout this story we see him question the world around him.

The script is clever and witty and interspersed with the storyline about Andersen early struggles to find fame and fortune. Come see some of his best-known fairy tales, such as the Princess and the Pea, The Little Mermaid and the Emperor’s New Clothes, come to life.

Directed by Lynne Seymour

5pm – “Wave Me Goodbye” – Audience 12+ 

Extraordinary stories in an extraordinary setting.

‘This place anchors my heart. This place takes hold of you and will not let you go’

Time moves on, landscapes alter, memories fade.

When all is changing what remains?

Join us as we journey through the lives of those who find it hard to leave the air, the sea and the land of Ferryside. A collection of characters (you may or may not recognise…) navigate their way through the site and invite you to listen to their stories.

Written and performed by the cast, Wave Me Goodbye is an exploration of what it means to truly belong.

Directed by Carri Munn

7pm – “We The Jury” – Audience 16+ 

Join the Jury at The Court Of The Spoken Truth. Can you see the Truth the whole truth and nothing but the truth?

We the Jury is an immersive theatrical experience where the decisions you make affect the outcomes of the trial.

Innocent or Guilty? You decide.

Directed by Shane Nickels

All ticket money raised will be donated back to Calon Y Fferii (Ferryside Education Centre) to help the continued development of the site.

All tickets to be booked via email or phone: heather.thomas@uwtsd.ac.uk

or 01267 676669

No tickets available at the venue

All tickets money will be collected on arrival

site posters

Annual General Meeting 2016

Our AGM is on the 21st March at 7:30pm at the Calon Y Fferi Community Centre (former residential education centre).  Please encourage friends and other members of the public to attend. Dress warmly as it unlikely to be warm on site.

The Agenda is as follows:

Apologies
Minutes of 2015 AGM
Matters arising
Chair’s Report
Treasurers Report
Trustee resignations and appointments
Officer appointments
Date of next AGM

This will be followed by a Trustee Meeting with the following agenda:

Apologies
Minutes of Last Meeting
Matters Arising
Infrastructure report
Business Planning Report
Community Relations
AOB
Dates for Infrastructure and Business Planning Group Meetings
Dates for future trustee meeting.

All welcome.

Notes of FSEG MEETING Feb 15th 7:30pm

Held at the White Lion Hotel

Ms Sue Abbott     – Chair
Mr Les Jones       – Secretary
Mr Delme Bowen – Minutes Secretary
Mr Hugh Williams  – Tresurer
Mrs Lucy Evans     – Finance
Mr James Greenwell – IT
Mr Michael Evans.

Apologies
Mr Mike Bailey
Mrs Dorothy Morris
Mrs Lynn Shallcross
Cllr Mair Stephens.

Minutes and Matters Arising

The minutes were accepted as correct for the Jan 21st meeting.

The treasurer agreed to forward copies of the audited accounts to all trustees. The payments from the Local Health Board have now been received other than for their insurance contribution. A response from “Gift Aid ” is still awaited. The bid for a Rural Development Grant has been submitted. St Ishmael C. C. Have approved a loan over two years to build toilets at Calon Y Fferi. The AGM will be on March 21st, venue to be confirmed.

The flooding adjacent to Men’s Sheds awaits repair by the County Council. The group are still awaiting a response from the Llanelli Sewing group, who are seeking a new venue.

At the meeting with the LHB it was agreed that communication would be through Ann Jenkins. They agreed that the secure door between the centre and the surgery was to be locked when the surgery was closed. It was agreed that tenants would need permission to use their toilets. A fire safety risk assessment of their building is to be carried out shortly. They have requested specified car parking spaces.The lighting of the path to the surgery is to be checked. They will be billed for water and electricity usage, meanwhile, the electrical wiring in the surgery requires rectification and upgrading.

Environmental Project

Rosie Carmichael has provided funds from Natural Resources Wales to establish a Green area and open-air classroom adjacent to the sports hall at Calon Y Fferi.

Work has started, the site cleared and an intrusive sycamore and tall conifers removed. Beech trees are being managed and coppiced and a mix of trees will be planted to form a hedge. Some willow bushes will also be cleared and a seating area established. Lockable Gates will be established into the site adjacent to the sports hall and on the other side adjacent to the MUGA. A hedge will be established between the open air garden and the adjacent boggy wetland. A full set of gardening tools will also be provided.

The environmental project will be managed by the Village Forum on behalf of FSEG. GRAIG Collage students may also assist with the work from February 29th.

Infrastructure Group

The January 25th meeting agreed to proceed with the essential electrical work at a cost of £5,800 . The work carried out by Dyfed Electrical is almost complete. Electrical supply to other parts of the buildings including the “boiler room” , Men’s Sheds , Dorothy’s ceramic area and Sport hall,are being investigated

Further improvements are required and a working party is to be set up to directly volunteer labour. The guttering has been cleared with the help of Les and Mike and leaks have been identified in the roof especially associated with the chimney
stack. Overall, the roof is in relatively good condition. Quotes will be taken for essential repairs.

The existing electrical contract included a panel for a future addressable fire alarm system at £850 without any attached fire sensors. A simpler fully functional non-addressable sytem is now preferred, which will cost £1000 with sensors placed in the tenanted locations. The extra expenditure was approved.

An insurance surveyor report has been received indicating three requirements:
1 Board up the damaged portakabins
2 Get full electrical certification for all live circuits
3 Fire safety installation required

The Fire Risk Assessment has been drafted and will be circulated for comment. The rooms in the main building have been systematically renumbered.
The provision of disability toilets, will be brought forward.

The Business Group.

Met on February 4th and templates are being developed for the business plan that will allow cash flow forecast to match the relevant business projects along with a structured narrative. The Rural Development Grant application has been submitted to the County. A “Gregg’s” grant application and “The Big Give” is being investigated for a number of projects including further landscape options.

Dorothy is organising three car boot sales in April, May and June and volunteers are required to help. The Cafe will also be opened. Fundraising in the Ferryside Carnival will be explored. Mike Bailey has proposed a village garden Scarecrow Competition for September.

The change of name of the site to “Calon Y Fferi Community Centre ” has been forwarded to the County.

The County Council has approved a standard format for the tenant subleases which will have individual side letters attached particular to each tenant. Formal notifications are being prepared?

Treasurers Report

The treasurer tabled a report, indicating £10,486.82 current and £109.20 petty cash. The LHB have agreed to pay the Surgery’s share of site insurance, estimated at £265.76.

AOB

A potential new logo for Calon Y Fferi was received from Mr Dave Smith.
It was noted that additional trustees would be sought at the AGM on March 21st

NEXT MEETING

AGM March 21st

Notes of FSEG MEETING Jan 18th 7:30pm

CALON Y FFERI COMMUNITY CENTRE

Ms Sue Abbott          Chair
Mr Les Jones             Sec.
Prof Delme Bowen    Min. Sec.
Mr Hugh Williams.    Tres.
Mr James Greenwell I T
Mrs Lucy Evans         Ass. Tres.
Mr Mike Bailey
Mr Mike Evans
Rev Phil Johnes
Mrs Dorothy Morris
Mrs Lynn Shallcross

Apologies:
Cllr Mair Stephens

Minutes & Matters Arising
The minutes of the last meeting, Nov 16th were accepted as a correct record. The “Trustee Update ” was accepted as circulated.

It was confirmed that the new name of the site would be CALON  Y FFERI COMMUNITY CENTRE and this would be submitted to the County Council next thursday. Invoices would still be made out for FSEG as the charity.

The Xmas market proved to be successful. A gift aided donation of £4,000 has been received for updating the electrical infrastructure.

Treasurer’s Report
The treasurer submitted a detailed report to be forwarded to all trustees indicating a December 30th balance  of £6,036:90, plus £116.45 petty cash. Local Fundraising over 2015 totalled £443.25. Outstanding payments are awaited from the Local Health Authority who signed the lease on Nov 2nd. Outstanding payments are committed to our solicitor, Premier Credit insurance, electricity and water. Estimated “spendable ” money was surmised to be around £9,000.

Reports

Infrastructure Group
The infrastructure group under the chairmanship of Les Jones is considering how best to develop the site and buildings. To-date,the AV has been dismantled in one of the training rooms. New toilets are needed in the public area and the lowest tender of £6,500 for this work has been received. A lowest tender of £7,500 has been received to double glaze and renew the Foyer and entrance door.

Electrical renovation is urgently required and will have to be done progressively as funds come available.

Two quotes have been received, one from IWEC at £62,000 plus Vat. This was not broken down in a way that would allow the work to be phased. Another quote of £30,000 for (similar but not identical work) was obtained from Dyfed Electrical Services. They gave separate prices for office rooms at £1,500 per room and £650 for the kitchen electrical supply. An appropriate metering plan is being developed, moving to metering per tenant in due course. £6,000 will be required to update fire safety. Tenants will pay for their own electrical testing. Wiring will include space for IT cabling. The sports hall and ceramic areas also require attention and quotes will be sought for the works required.

Business Group
The chair, Sue Abbott reported that in terms of tenants, Mark Harwood had hired a room and that Sue Horton required two rooms for Truffles. Mr Mike Utting had hired a training room for two years and will have a 5 year lease. Formal sub-leases and appropriate side letters for tenants still await clearance from the County Council legal office and an urgent meeting is pending.

The chair submitted papers on actual and potential tenant space allocation along with maps and anticipated income. The latter could be used as the basis for a more detailed business plan. The Allocation of a Bunkhouse is being keenly negotiated.

The estimated income based on currently agreed rentals could be around £30,000 per annum. There is a further potential for 15 rooms in the West Wing and two training rooms are still available. A business plan is being drawn up based on these developments.

Funding
Lucy Evans is drawing up a bid for County Council money, applying for a £160,000 infrastructure grant, 20 percent of which can be input as work in kind on top of £128,000. The criteria are demanding and have to fit into County and Welsh Government requirements covering such things as unemployment, work poverty, digital inclusion etc., in addition to details and costings of the work required. The bid goes in at the end of the month.

The decision of St Ishmael Community Council on a £7,000 grant to establish the new toilets is pending, following their site meeting at Calon Y Fferi on Jan 17th.
Marketing

A logo is to be drawn up for Calon Y Fferi Community Centre. The input of members would be welcomed.

Mr Mike Bailey showed examples of the artistic impressions used by other villages for marketing on merchandise such as tea cloths, bags, coasters, pens etc.

ICT
Fast broadband connection now available. Other work progressing in tandem with the electrical refurbishment.

AOB
DATES OF NEXT MEETING
Feb 15th 7:30pm
March 21st AGM
April 18th

Business Group Meetings
Feb 4th 7pm
March 3rd

Infrastructure Group Meetings
Jan25th 8pm
Feb22nd

Dorothy to get a grant decision on Ceramic project in March.
Heritage Project lease awaited, space allocation needs clarification.
The Village Forum is developing plans for the Sports Hall.
Flooded path adjacent to Men’s Sheds needs drainage repair.
Quilt & Sowing Class from Llanelli looking urgently for another venue.

DB.

Trustee update December 2015

Electricity
With our concerns over the safety of the electrical supply to the various parts of the site our priority this month was to identify the actual state of the supply and to find potential solutions.

In summary
· Local contractors have visited the site and independently agreed that the whole system will need updating. However they agree that we can do this in stages. The need for modernisation was confirmed by a surveyor working on behalf of our insurance company.
· Most circuits have been disabled to avoid accidents and will only be reinstated once improvements have been made.
· A staged improvement plan has been put out to tender and we await quotes from two contractors
· The Forum/Sports Group have identified a possible additional route which would provide a safe, meter-able and independent supply to the sports hall. This would reduce the load on the supply to the RAF huts and remove a source of disagreement between user groups. Thanks to Lucy and Mike Evans for their work on this.
· A private donation of £4000 has been made with the specific brief to bring the electrical supply in the core of the main building up to a standard that will allow us to open the centre to tenants and public users. The addition of Gift Aid brings this up to £5000 and should make it possible to complete a significant part of stage one of the improvements. Thanks have been made to the benefactor and to Hugh for arranging the Gift Aid.

Rental space
Once we identified the electrical safety issues it was clear that certain parts of the site could not be let at this stage. However we then spoke to the people who had expressed a wish to rent rooms with a view to moving their interest forward. At this stage we believe that all lettable spaces have a commitment from a tenant that will result in an income within the next six months.

To summarise:-
· The surgery has been invoiced and we expect to receive our first instalment shortly
· We have decided not to offer the floor above the surgery to tenants at this stage as the electrical supply to these rooms is unsafe.
· Mark Harwood (from Men’s sheds) has moved in to an office space on the ground floor next to the surgery
· Three other people have expressed a firm interest in the other three rooms in that area and we are in the last stages of negotiating the improvements and rent arrangements
· We have agreed to let the smaller training room to Mike Utting (Springtide) from January. This change to our plans was a sensible response to the situation. The room next to the kitchens had no access to the main site (or toilets) so was not attractive to Mike. However we negotiated two year’s rent up front and a five year contract. Mike’s business is one of the fastest growing in Wales and will help us to attract other companies to the site.
· The Lamble Brothers are still seeking quotes for improvements in the kitchen and restaurant space and we expect to meet with them again in the New Year.
· We have a ‘hand-shake agreement’ on the development of a bunk house covering both ground and first floor rooms. We expect to meet again in the New Year to discuss detailed terms and a phased plan which we hope will have some rooms available to visitors during 2016.
· Dorothy Morris has taken possession of the old kitchen and has already started work on improving and refurbishing the area. We look forward to seeing ceramic courses there early in 2016.
· Carmarthen Modellers are awaiting the formal Sub-lease before taking on any further improvements. We expect to meet with them in January
· The Laundry may be needed as part of the bunkhouse deal so we are not yet moving on that. However if it becomes available we would like to advertise it more widely and see if it can attract a higher income.

Grants
Most of the work on site will need additional funds from external sources. Les and the Infrastructure group are compiling an impressive list of essential works so we will need a sizeable chunk of money in the next few years.

· Lucy is working on a number of Grant applications which will cover small scale work and the larger development project. If she contacts you for information or a contribution to the narrative please could you respond promptly as the major grant funders have a very tight turn-around time.
· A request will go to the next Community Council meeting in January to fund the provision of two toilets. Please keep your fingers (and legs!) crossed

Infrastructure
Again a lot of work has taken place this month.

· In addition to the survey of electrics we have also had the water and electricity meters read. Both these activities have thrown up anomalies which may take a while to untangle.
· We have quotes for the replacement of the rotten windows and doors around the foyer and restaurant area.
· A site for the accessible toilet has been identified (thank you James). We will be putting this project out to tender shortly
· The old school gates have been offered to us and we are exploring the possibility of using them on two new pedestrian entrances to the site. This will allow us to keep them in the village while also improving community walking routes.
· The work on creating an up-to-date ICT system continues and further changes are planned as the new tenants move in and make it clear what they require.

Business planning group
This group met once and has agreed a plan of action and a series of dates for future meetings.
· Dorothy, Lynn, Lucy, and Mike please put these dates in your diary: 7th January, 4th February, 3rd March. (Everyone else please ignore!!)
· The fundraising activities have been impressive. We have raised around £130 over the three weeks of the market and raised our profile both locally and further afield through all your efforts. Thank you!!

Finance
Our current a/c balance as at 20/12/2015 is : £ 5,739.85
Our Petty Cash : £190.45

Trustee meetings 2016
We have two further meetings before the next AGM is due. Can I suggest we stick with the third Monday in the month and meet on January 18th and February 15th

This would allow us to set the AGM date as 21st March.

NOTES of FSEG Meeting November the 16th 2015

At CALON Y FFERI 7:30pm

Present:

Ms Sue Abbott           Chair
Mr Les Jones             Secretary
Prof Delme Bowen    Minute Secretary
Mr Hugh Williams.    Tresurer
Mr James Greenwell IT
Mrs Lucy Evans         Assistant Tresurer
Mr Mike Evans
Rev Phil Johnes
Mr Mike Bailey
Mrs Lynn Shallcross

Apologies

Mrs Dorothy Morris

Minutes

Available on the website and taken as read

Matters Arising

Covering items not on the agenda. Telephone and Wifi links are now available
Tel: 01267 874040. Two lines will be available.

Lease signed Nov 2nd. Sub leases awaiting legal advise. Rental arrangements are being discussed. The ” training rooms require furnishing and are not yet available for use. A response from Cwrs Y Fferi is awaited as to possible hire.

Name of Site 

Currently referred to as ” The Education Centre”.

Calon Y Fferi was proposed as a a possible title. The matter was discussed and a further description was proposed i.e.

Calon Y Fferi  Heart of the Community

Calon Y Fferi  Community Centre

Was then proposed as a compromise and carried by  8 votes to 1 abstention.

Chair’s Report

The chair confirmed that a 99 year lease of the site had now been signed with Carmarthen County Council. The expectation is that a 50% share in profit, payable to CCC, will not be payable since over £50,000 profit would have to be declared  over five years. There is no rent liability.

A draft list of proposed powers of delegation has been drawn up but not yet been presented to The Village Forum. These would propose that the external areas of the site would be overseen and managed by the Forum in agreement with FSEG.
Action Lucy Evans and Trustees.

Officers have by invitation, met with Mark James, director of S’Investec Llc a valuable expert in private funding with a wide range of contacts. He is happy to help and advise as required.

A meeting has been held with Cerian Rolls of Glam Fest, who has agreed to form a local committee to progress a Ferryside Musical Festival. The meeting will be held on December 7th and will be announced in STISH…..Action Trustees.

Secretary’s Report

The secretary is exploring what physical work needs doing on the site. This includes new toilets, and three quotes have been received, the most suitable being that submitted by DJ Plumbing at £ 6,500. An order will be placed when funds are available……… Action Secretary.  

The glass doors and windows of the Foyer require replacement with double glazing and quotes will be requested.  A new entrance gate is also required. A list of other requirements, including for the grounds and RAF Huts is being drawn up…Action Secretary

Over recent years a number of reports have indicated that the electricity supply should be updated before the main building is fit for public use.  An earlier estimate for a complete renewal of the whole site was £80,000. The secretary will discuss this with the company involved to identify the essential work on the main building and ascertain its cost.  It was decided that no public meetings would be allowed in the main building until the required electrical and safety work had been completed.

The tenants taking on the Cafe/ Restaurant will do their own work on the kitchen and bar.  Anyone developing a bunkhouse would also be expected to do the necessary electrical work.

As the building will be occupied by several sub-tenants, there is a need to apportion the cost of electricity consumed.  Having separate supplies has been discussed with Western Power and it would clearly be very expensive to implement. It would also have the disadvantage that standing charges would be applied to every account. A lower cost solution is to keep the existing account arrangement but to have private metering for each sub-tenant.  FSEG will need then to read the meters and apportion costs.  A spread-sheet will be set up to facilitate this.

The tenants taking on the Cafe/ Restaurant will do their own work on the kitchen and bar.  Anyone developing a bunkhouse would also be expected to do the necessary electrical work.

Considerable plumbing work is also required to supply the toilets and other areas. This would have to meet the requirements laid out in the Legionella Survey carried out by the County Council.  The secretary was authorised to employ a plumber for a day to investigate and understand what may be required to feed the kitchen and bar area.

Treasurer’s Report

The treasurer submitted a detailed report showing a balance of £2,450 with £228.97 petty cash. The initial solicitor fees have been paid as have the public liability insurance premium. Payments for the surgery are awaited via the County Council and it was decided to invoice for these……..Action Treasurer.

ICT

It was confirmed that Internet Access and Telephone exchange had been installed, but that further work would await the electrical work proposed. James was thanked for all his good work with the ICT.

Action Plan

The workshop findings had been distilled into a five page document which was presented by the chair. The proposed activities were outlined under the headings of FSEG, FORUM, SOCIAL ENTERPRISE GROUPS and PRIVATE ENTERPRISE along with possible red, amber and green risk factors. A column on mitigation would be added.

The document was welcomed and discussed in detail including formation of a Business Plan & Governance section under the Business Group and importantly a Survey & Refurbishment of Buildings & Utilities Section under the Infrastructure Group. The chair was appointed to oversee the former and LesJones the secretary appointed to oversee the latter. lt was emphasised that the groups would need to interact as necessary in order to get progress.   ………..Action Chair, Secretary and Trustees.

Funding

To be driven by the Business Group, in response to requirements identified and costed  by the Infrastructure Group.

AOB

FSEG to run a Stall at  the Forum Xmas Market…..Action Lynn Shallcross

FSEG  to man Coffee stall at one of the FORUM Xmas Markets…Action..Phill Johnes

Trip to Pembroke Funding Fair Narberth Nov17th………..Action  Secretary

It was suggested that Crowd Funding should be explored in the future.

DONM

Early December, date to be set.

Notes of FSEG MEETING Monday Oct 19th 7:30pm CALON Y FFERI

Ms Sue Abbott          Chair
Mr Les Jones             Sec.
Prof Delme Bowen    Min. Sec.
Mr Hugh Williams.    Tresurer
Mr James Greenwell  I T
Mrs Lucy Evans         Assistant Treasurer.
Mr Mike Evans
Mrs Lynn Shallcross

Apologies
Mrs Dorothy Morris

Minutes

The minutes of the previous meeting were accepted as correct.

Matters Arising

A separate meeting has been arranged with Cerian Rolls to discuss the possible Youth Music Festival. A report on the Fund Raising meeting is pending from the chair.
Action…Chair

Dragon Scapes have visited the site and recommended the establishment of a shallow pond and Hugel mound behind the hall. The establishment of a wild flower meadow is under discussion.

Chairs Report

The chair requested more help in future to clean the centre before events. …Action All Trustees and Members.

Thanks were give to the few that did help,especially Mrs Ceinwen Jones. A very successful  Funding meeting and Signing Ceremony have been held.

Officers have had ongoing discussions with:

  1. Two  potential bidders hoping to establish and run a hostel/ bunk house .
  2. A bidder hoping to establish and open a Cafe and restaurant with bar, who
    would be prepared to get the boiler up and running to heat the restaurant  and central area.
  3. Mr Richard Payne a construction contract manager who is prepared to offer site management expertise. His name has also
    been added to a list of potential builders.

A leaflet was tabled describing the site and its potential based on the article in STISH. It was decided to distribute this more widely in the village.

The chair who is no longer an issue officer of The Village Forum suggested that we hold a future meeting with them to discuss potential delegated or shared responsibilities and this was agreed……Action: Chair and Secretary.

Meanwhile the Forum was invited to draw up an environmental plan for the site for future discussion….Action: The Village Forum

Treasurers Report

The treasurer submitted a detailed report indicating £ 2991.97 in the current account and £ 317.97 Petty Cash from recent fundraising. He drew attention to an anticipated expenditure of £ 1,140 on solicitor fees and £1,300 on ICT costs. Discussion took place on when the LHB could be invoiced and it was noted that the rental could be backdated to Oct 5th when they signed their lease.

ICT

It was reported that one telephone line had already been installed and that the cabling structures and switches were good for Wifi. Internet connection was awaited.

Secretary Report

A wiring plan was emerging for the site and some basic electrics had been repaired and made functional. The secretary, who is taking advice, indicated that allocating electrical costs to users would not be easy and might require separate metering of different sections of the buildings. It was noted that commercial standing charges can be expensive…….Action Secretary.

On the administrative side an annual return to the Charities Commission had been completed and submitted. There had been further detailed exchanges on the leases, but the main lease was now ready to sign. The LHB lease had already been agreed and signed. It is a 5 year lease with a possible break after two years. Work is being undertaken to prepare the sub leases,especially to enable the development of the kitchen and restaurant. Two basic types of lease are envisaged, one for clubs and community use and the other for business or commercial use.

An invitation to tender for two unisex toilets for the centre has been issued.

Rental Arrangements

The purpose of FSEG as a Charity is to benefit the community of Ferryside and St Ishmael by bringing together local groups and enabling educational, social, welfare or leisure activities. Any commercial activities at the site are for the express purpose of creating a financially viable centre where community activities can take place.

It was decided that a realistic commercial-rent will be taken for all businesses and that space may be offered at no rent  to non-profit organisations provided that they are fully responsible for the repair and maintenance of the space they occupy and cooperate fully with FSEG and the other tenants in the overall development of the site.

This was carried, the chair didn’t vote to make 5 for and  2 against  and 1 abstention. Two trustees proposing that all tenants should pay some rental. Appropriate rental charges were tabled and discussed.

It was decided that Grant Funding and an Action Plan now needs to be urgently considered.   Action Chair, Secretary, Lucy Evans, Treasurer and all Trustees.

AOB

Lynn Shallcross suggested that members bring forward local fund raising activities leading to Halloween and Xmas.

Les Jones indicated that Cwrs Y Fferi, would require class rooms for teaching Welsh in the community in February. This meant that heating and new toilets would need to be progressed quickly.

NEXT MEETINGS

Nov 16th TO DISCUSS GRANT FUNDING & ACTION PLAN
Dec 21st
Jan 18th 2016
Feb 15th
March 21st
April 18th

Ferryside Residential Education Centre

On September 22nd Ferryside Social Enterprise Group reached a very important milestone.

Carmarthenshire County Council handed over the former Education Centre to be used for the benefit of the local community.

That simple sentence hides a massive amount of work by a small group of people over many years. However, in a nutshell, the trustees of FSEG will now be working towards creating somewhere where local people can to do the sorts of things that make life better.

The Health Centre is already based there and will continue to provide a doctor’s surgery and access to a pharmacy and nursing care. Over the next few months we will be exploring ways to bring other health and welfare services into the centre so you can avoid unnecessary travel. You will already have visited the weekly market through the summer and seen the wonderful food and craft provided by a plethora of small local producers. Have you also found out about the sport groups using the refurbished hall? It’s well worth a visit – even if you are not feeling very sporty it makes an excellent venue for parties.

Broadside Films is proof that young people do not need a plan B to move into the competitive world of media production. All you need is talent and a lot of hard work. Their activity on this site is due to increase in the next year but meanwhile, check out their film about the centenary of Bryn WI.

We have recently welcomed the Carmarthen Modellers to the site and their enthusiastic working groups have tidied up some unloved areas and created a welcoming space for people throughout the county who enjoy working in miniature. We expect great things from them.

A Men’s Shed group has become a hive of activity at least twice a week and is growing fast. In addition to working on individual projects the men have made ukeleles and entered in the “Pimp My Uke competition in Cardiff. They have also made beehives and a coracle as part of local community activities.

Art and Crafts will be an important theme on this site and the ceramic workshop to be created by our local artist, Dorothy Morris, will bring people into the village to learn new skills and share their inspiration

With a proposed network of internet connection and reception services on site, discussions are also beginning with people able to create a gallery area, a fine foods kitchen, offices for small businesses and start-up enterprises. It will also provide a focus for the interpretation and display of the local area heritage, both natural and man-made.

All of this will need a lot more work.

The buildings have been empty for nearly ten years, have been vandalised and lots of copper pipe has been stolen. The resident spider population alone will need a massive eviction campaign. Parts of the site will be cleared to use as growing spaces for individuals and community groups. However the wildlife making its home in the areas around the drainage ditch and wooded background will be cherished as they form part of a wider conservation monitoring and education activity in the community.

Meanwhile we are preparing for the return of Welsh language courses to their home here and exploring how we can host a national youth music festival next summer.

Exciting times, eh?!!

If you want to know more about this we have a Facebook page and website which are updated frequently.

How can you get involved?   We need a lot of practical help.

In the next few months we will be cleaning, clearing and bringing the site back to life. If you have practical skills they will be really valuable. We will need to use professionally trained people to restore the plumbing and electrical supplies. Some areas of the site will need plastering, repainting and deep cleaning.

Can you:

  • Use a mop, a vacuum cleaner or a duster?
  • Wield a paint-brush, sander or power tools?
  • Move furniture or unblock doors and windows?
  • Help with fundraising
  • Spare a couple of hours a week to talk to visitors?
  • Do some gardening work

Also, please check through our wish-list of equipment and materials and donate what you can:

  • Electric Heaters
  • PC projector and screen
  • Printer
  • Cleaning materials
  • Buckets
  • Cleaning cloths
  • Scrubbing brushes
  • Heavy duty vacuum cleaner
  • Paint (internal and external)
  • Paintbrushes
  • Brush cleaner
  • Cutlery and crockery
  • Gardening tools
  • Tea, coffee, biscuits
  • etc, etc
  • ie, almost anything useful

All of these will be needed if we are to provide the kind of community centre that the area deserves. We will be speaking to everyone we know asking for help to make this work but please don’t wait to be asked. If you would like to be a part of this exciting project please contact Sue Abbott (01267 267097),
Les Jones (01267 267123) or any FSEG trustee. (See www.fseg.org.uk.)